Kolkata: The Special Task Force of Kolkata Police busted an arms factory in Howrah and arrested three persons in this connection on Thursday. Police seized 48 semi-finished firearms and fake currency notes worth Rs 1 lakh during the search.According to sources, on Thursday afternoon, police were tip off about a person who worked as a carrier to circulate fake notes. Working on the information, the police came to know that the suspected person has been seen in Strand Road area. Also Read – City bids adieu to Goddess DurgaAround 4:50 pm on Thursday, police officers identified a man near Customs House on Strand Road. The man identified as Md. Chand alias Sonu of Munger in Bihar was immediately intercepted and detained. While checking his bag, officers found 22 semi-finished country-made improvised firearms along with huge amount of fake notes. He was taken to the STF police station in Lalbazar. During interrogation, Chand said that he and two others persons were secretly running an arms factory at Golabari in Howrah. Based on his statement, on Thursday night, officers of Special Task Force assisted by the Golabari police station raided a house at Pilkhana in Howrah, which was locally known as a lathe factory. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellersDuring the raid, police officers detained two more persons, identified as Md. Sultan and Md. Shiltu alias Md. Shahensha, of Munger in Bihar. During the search, cops found 26 semi-finished country-made improvised firearms along with one lathe machine, two milling machine, one drilling machine, one polishing-cum-grinding machine, huge amount of raw materials and tools. Both of them were immediately arrested and taken to Lalbazar. According to sources, accused persons rented the house to run a lathe factory. Coincidentally the house belongs to a person identified as Tarak Nath Shaw, who is the brother of BJP’s Howrah Uttar Mondal president Kashi Nath Shaw. Police officers are trying to find out since when the accused persons had been running the factory. It is suspected that the raw materials were being supplied from Munger and the firearms were being manufactured here in the factory. Later, a case was initiated and all three of them were arrested on charges of 489B (using as genuine, forged or counterfeit currency-notes or bank-notes), 489C (possession of forged or counterfeit currency-notes or bank-notes), 120B (punishment of criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and 25(1B)(a) (whoever acquires has in his possession or carries any firearm or ammunition) of the Arms Act.
“The Secretary-General is appalled by reports of the killing of at least 36 civilians on 13 August in the area of Rwangoma village, North Kivu province of the DRC, by suspected members of the Allied Defense Forces (ADF),” said a statement issued by his spokesperson. “[Mr. Ban] condemns in the strongest terms this latest attack in the Beni area where, since October 2014, several hundred civilians have been killed by suspected members of the ADF,” the statement continued, extending the UN chief’s condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.The Secretary-General in his statement went on to call for those responsible for this attack to be brought to justice. He reiterated the commitment of the UN to support the authorities of the DRC in their efforts to address the threat posed by armed groups and end impunity, in line with the mandate of the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO).Earlier in the day, United Nations Special Envoy for the Great Lakes Region Said Djinnit also strongly condemned the attack, referring to the incident as a “massacre.” “Attacking a vulnerable, innocent population is unacceptable,” Mr. Djinnit told UN Radio.“We also encourage […] the authorities of the DRC and MONUSCO to increase their cooperation in addressing the scourge of armed groups in eastern DRC in general and Beni, in particular,” he added. At least 36 people were killed in the attack which took place overnight on 13 and 14 August. The attack is believed to have been carried out by the ADF, a rebel group of Ugandan origin, operating mainly in eastern DRC. Additionally, in a press release issued earlier today, the Special Envoy noted that “[The] attack will not deter from the collective determination to neutralize all negative forces that continue to cause sorrow and atrocities in eastern DRC.” Mr. Djinnit added that the attack is a reminder of the urgency to implement the commitments of the Peace, Security and Cooperation (PSC) Framework, and the decisions taken in that regard by the Heads of State of the region. According to the press release, the Special Envoy also reiterated his readiness to continue to support ongoing efforts to end the plague of negative forces in the region, together with other representatives of the “guarantors” of the PSC Framework agreement. Mr. Djinnit also expressed his condolences to the Government and people of the DRC on the deadly incident. For its part, MONUSCO strongly condemned the killings as an act of barbarism, noting that reports indicate that 31 victims were brought to Beni town, while 5 victims were reportedly buried at the scene of the attack.MONUSCO, in cooperation with the national forces, known by the French acronym, FARDC, and the national police, deployed forces throughout the territory of Beni to contribute to the protection of the population and prevent further attacks. Joint patrolling is under way and a senior MONUSCO delegation was expected to fly to Beni today to express support to the national authorities in addressing the situation. read more