“I deplore the death of Mahmoud Za’al. All too many journalists have been dying in Iraq,” UNESCO Director-General Koïchiro Matsuura said of last Monday’s killing in a statement issued at his agency’s Paris headquarters. “Media professionals are showing incredible courage in carrying out their commitment to keep the public informed. Their invaluable contribution to democracy inspires great respect and I call on the authorities to do their utmost to improve the safety of all media professionals in the country, in the interest of democracy and of the basic human right of freedom of expression,” he said. Mr. Za’al, 35, was killed while reporting on clashes in Ramadi, some 100 kilometres west of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad. Philippines journalist Rolly Cañete was shot to death by unidentified gunmen on 20 January, and Graciano Aquino was killed by attackers said to be members of the Marxist-Leninist Party of the Philippines, Rebolusyonaryong Hukbo ng Bayan, on Saturday, 21 January, UNESCO said. “I condemn the assassination of Rolly Cañete and of Graciano Aquino,” the Director-General declared. “It is important for democracy and rule of law that journalists be allowed to do their work without let or hindrance, regardless of their political leanings. These heinous crimes represent onslaughts on the basic human right of freedom of expression and on another essential component of democracy: namely, media pluralism.”He expressed extreme concern about the number of journalists killed in the exercise of their profession in the Philippines. The Committee for the Protection of Journalists put the figure at 22 since 2000, seven of them last year alone. “I trust that that country’s authorities will succeed in upholding democracy as they continue to track those responsible for these crimes,” he added.According to the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), 35 journalists killed in Iraq last year.The condemnation by the UNESCO chief is the latest in a long series he has issued recently over attacks on journalists around the world. UNESCO has the international community’s mandate to defend freedom of expression and press freedom worldwide.
BossTek has updated its family of self-powered dust suppression equipment with Tier IV Final-compliant power generators, ensuring compliance in all 50 US states, it says.A global innovator in dust and odour control technology, the company made the announcement with the debut of the new DustBoss® DB-60 Fusion™, a suppression system driven by a 25 hp (18.6 kW) electric motor paired with a heavy-duty four-cycle indirect injection diesel engine gen set.Designed, engineered and assembled in the US, the generator features a dual-containment fuel cell, heavy gauge lockable enclosure and oversized brushless alternator for easy starting, according to the company.The company’s Fusion lineup, which is permanently mounted on a rugged trailer, is proving to be a popular and effective means of delivering versatile, mobile dust suppression technology to sites that lack a readily available power source, BossTek says. “The company expects to unveil two other Fusion models in early 2019, giving customers the ability to select the size and coverage range needed to best suit their operations,” the company added.“The new generator series is designed with sound attenuation for excellent noise reduction and a multi-voltage switch with utility power outlet in all voltage modes. The digital engine/generator controller is equipped with single button stop/start and an 80 gallon (364 litres) fuel capacity, giving the units a run time of more than 24 hours at a prime rating of 45 kVa.“Like its previous Fusion systems, BossTek warrantees the DB-60 Fusion for three years/3,000 h, with five-year/5,000 h coverage on the electric motor and a two-year/2,000 h warranty on the generator.”The DB-60 Fusion drives pressurised water through a circular stainless steel manifold with 30 atomising spray nozzles, then launches millions of tiny droplets with a powerful fan that produces 30,000 ft³/min (849.50 m³/min) of air flow. Atomised mist droplets of 50 to 200 microns in size are thrown out in a 200 ft (60 m) cone at an adjustable 0 to 50° elevation angle, capturing airborne dust particles and dragging them to the ground.Unlike industrial sprinklers used for the same purpose, which can require hundreds of gallons of water per minute, the DB-60 only uses about 23 gallons per minute (87 litres per minute) to help avoid pooling or runoff.“A touch screen panel for controlling the dust suppression unit is encased in a NEMA 3R cabinet, allowing operators to control oscillation, booster pump, fan and water,” BossTek says. “The cabinet is constructed for outdoor use, designed to provide protection against solid foreign objects (such as dirt), air (dust, emissions), water (rain, sleet, snow) and ice formation. The system is able to provide up to 5,834 m² of coverage.BossTek Project Engineer Jason Lesch said: “Maintaining air quality is essential for communities near a demolition project, mining operation or other bulk material handling activities, but even in places with little infrastructure, dust can choke worksites and foul equipment. We engineered the Fusion to be highly mobile, with its own power source, so it can be easily towed anywhere on a job site.”Equipped with an in-line 75 mesh, 200 micron filter, the unit can be specified with special filtration to accommodate non-potable water sources. In addition, the new design can be optimised with a variable frequency drive to precisely adjust fan speed. An optional dosing pump is available for precise metering of additives to enhance particle control even further. read more