UnCruise Adventures CEO Captain Dan Blanchard. (ABC News)By AMANDA MAILE and MINA KAJI, ABC News(NEW YORK) — One of the first U.S. cruises to resume sailing amid the novel coronavirus pandemic was cut short after a passenger tested positive for COVID-19.The 63 passengers and crew aboard the UnCruise Adventures’ ship were just three days into their Alaskan vacation when they were informed Wednesday the guest had tested positive and they would have to return to port. “This was the guest’s second test following a negative test result,” UnCruise Adventures said in a statement. “The guest is showing no symptoms and no other guests or crew are showing outward symptoms of any kind.”UnCruise Adventures was able to circumvent the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention no-sail order because its ships carry less than 250 people.“Social distancing was actually a reality aboard our boat,” UnCruise Adventures CEO Captain Dan Blanchard told ABC News, “as well as all the standard things you would think of masks, no buffets, plated meals, separated tables. So we felt, and still do feel, that the actual vessel itself and the way that our trips run, provide a very low opportunity for transmission.”The cruise line has now decided to suspend all future 2020 Alaska departures as the entire industry struggles with how to weather the coronavirus crisis.“It has affected our life immensely,” Blanchard said. “This year we’ll have about 2% of our normal revenue and — and that’s devastating.”The CDC’s no sail-order expires at the end of September, but major U.S. cruise lines have voluntarily suspended operations until at least the end of October.“This has been a bit of a come to Jesus moment,” Blanchard said, “about how easily even with proper testing, somebody got on board.”Blanchard hopes they can start operations again in the winter in Hawaii, but acknowledged the situation is still very fluid.“We’ve been really lobbying Congress for rapid testing,” Blanchard said. “That would change the game and would allow sailing before an absolute vaccine.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: After getting knocked out of 2019 World Cup, the men-in-blue will look to answer some pivotal questions as they prepare for another bilateral series against West Indies which is scheduled to start on August 3. The support staff comprising Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun, batting coach Sanjay Bangar and fielding coach R Sridhar were given a 45-day extension following the World Cup, covering the West Indies tour from August 3.Post this series, there will be new set of support staff which will take the duties and take the Indian team ahead. With this, on July 16, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has invited fresh applications for the Indian cricket team’s support staff, including the head coach.All of them, who are currently associated with the team can reapply but the team is set to have a new trainer and physio after the departure of Shankar Basu and Patrick Farhart respectively following India’s semifinal exit in the World Cup. After the West Indies tour, India’s home season kicks off with the series against South Africa beginning September 15. Meanwhile, Ravi Shastri was appointed India head coach in 2017 after Anil Kumble’s tenure ended prematurely in controversial circumstances. The 57-year-old was also India’s director of cricket from August 2014 to June 2016. However, India have not won a major ICC event under his guidance though the team did make history by winning a maiden Test series in Australia earlier this year.It was the first time that the BCCI had followed a transparent procedure for hiring the team manager, in accordance with the Lodha committee recommendations. For all positions, the BCCI has done away with direct appointment and follows a proper recruitment process.Here’s the Tweet: Indian team was knocked out of semi-finals. India will tour West Indies for a full series, starting from August 3. Virat Kohli is likely to travel with the team. read more
“Every meet that we’ve had so far this year has been pointing to the one and only one meet, and that was the NCAA Championships.”So said Eric Hansen, head coach of the UW swimming program. And after a conference meet that saw the UW women’s squad finish sixth among its Big Ten competitors, he maintained his confidence in his team’s ability to excel at the impending national event.”We swam through the Big Ten Championships, [w]here we had the majority of women that we needed to qualify [do so],” Hansen said. “I feel really good about where we are right now. I see no reason that we shouldn’t expect to be better than we’ve ever been, and the best we’ve done is 10th.”Given good health and no injuries, we’ll just swim the way we’ve been training, and we’re going to really enjoy this meet.”The 2006 NCAA meet will be hosted by the University of Georgia — the nation’s top-ranked program and favorite to win the championship — in Athens, Ga., during the weekend of Mar. 16-18.Before the Championships begin, the UW diving team will try to qualify individuals for the national meet at the NCAA Zonal meet, which (for Wisconsin — there are five different locations) takes place this weekend at the Ohio State University. Hansen said his female divers — Amanda Witte and Laura Davidson — appear to be hard-pressed in their attempts to join the core squad in Georgia.”We would embrace any diver that we can take to the meet, but we’re going to need to dive significantly better than we’ve dove all year in order for that to happen,” the seventh-year coach explained.On the younger side of the team, Hansen dubbed his freshman class as “the future of the swimming program,” and Yi Ting Siow, who clinched a Big Ten Championship in the 200-yard breaststroke, heads it. She will be entering the NCAA tournament with a No. 4 seeding, the rank among her teammates.”Yi Ting is going to be an impact swimmer for us in the NCAA Championships,” Hansen said. “She has a chance to final in at least one event, if not two or approximately even three. It’s a lot [for a freshman], but she’s capable of a lot.”The Badgers bring 11 swimmers to the national meet and are representative of an evenly balanced team in terms of class. Four seniors, two juniors, three sophomores and two freshmen make up Wisconsin’s scheduled roster at the NCAAs.With freshmen like Siow and Jennifer Illescas headed to Athens — as well as fellow rookies like Jill Courtney and Katie Twitchell looking to join them in the future — this year’s quartet of seniors has done what they can to help pass the torch to the next grouping of UW swimmers.”Hopefully, we’ve been motivating them at practices and at meets,” senior sprinter Sarah Hernandez said. “I wouldn’t say it’s just the seniors, just all the upperclassmen trying to keep the morale up and keep people charged for competition.”Hernandez, Emily Carpenter, Amalia Sarnecki and Anna Trinidad are the seniors that will end their careers at the national meet. Hernandez and Sarnecki, alongside sophomores Hannah McClurg and Jackie Vavrek, are expected to compete as a group in the 200-yard freestyle relay, the event in which they set a Wisconsin record on Feb. 16 at the conference meet.Juniors Susan Johnson, Andrea Wiesner and sophomore Jenny Gelden round out the UW women’s NCAA representatives.Hernandez concurred with Hansen’s assessment of Wisconsin’s capabilities when it comes to team results at the NCAAs.”Ideally, we would like to be in the top 10, which I think we can do if everyone swims well. It’s not really that out of the question,” she said.The Badgers’ main goal, according to Hansen, will be to build off victories at the conference level and try to put together the right combination of individual successes to place as high as they can at “the one and only meet.””We’re really pleased, we’re coming off Big Ten Championships,” Hansen said. “We’re never happy with where we end up there, but all in all, it doesn’t really matter.”But if you’re competitive, you don’t like to get beat. We’re about to rectify that at the meet that matters most to us.” read more
Head coach Bobby Hurley threw that same press on after his team went down 12-2 early thanks to a trio of 3-pointers from Utomi, who would also drain a step-back three to beat the shot clock and put USC up 24-11 with 11 and a half minutes left in the first half. Senior guard Jonah Mathews led all scorers with 23 points on 58% shooting from the field, while graduate transfer guard Daniel Utomi dropped 19 points on 4-of-8 shooting from behind the 3-point line, along with 10 rebounds. But USC’s shooting steadied its lead all half, going 7-for-11 from downtown as opposed to ASU’s 5-for-14. The Trojans also outrebounded their opponent 21-11, allowing for 10 second-chance points to the Sun Devils’ 2. “The seniors are supposed to help us win a big game on our home court and they did that,” Enfield said. Redshirt senior guard Daniel Utomi shot 50% from the field during a standout performance Saturday night. (Peter Gastis | Daily Trojan) The press was effective in limiting USC’s offense once again, forcing the Trojans to turn the ball over 14 times in the first half, resulting in 14 points. Saturday’s game marked the first “green game” at Galen Center, an initiative by USC to turn the arena into a zero-waste venue. The win moved USC to fifth place with a matchup against UCLA at home this Saturday. The USC men’s basketball team picked up a huge 71-61 win over Arizona State at Galen Center Saturday. Going into the game, the Sun Devils and Trojans were third and sixth, respectively, in the Pac-12 standings and with the conference tournament approaching, every remaining game can greatly impact the Trojans’ shot at a first-round bye. The Trojans were able to settle in during the second half, surrendering just five turnovers. “[Utomi]’s definitely the X-factor of the team,” Mathews said. “If he plays well, we’re for sure playing good.” Senior guard Jonah Mathews shredded the Sun Devils’ defense Saturday night for a career-high 23 points. (Peter Gastis | Daily Trojan) ASU cut the score to 26-21 after a floater by junior guard Remy Martin was followed by a steal and a 3-pointer from redshirt senior guard Rob Edwards. Adlesh played 19 minutes after not seeing significant game action in two of the last three matchups. USC fell to the Sun Devils in Tempe 66-64 on Feb. 8 as the squad was unable to score in the last two minutes after going up 64-59, largely due to heavy defensive pressure from Arizona State’s full-court press that forced 18 turnovers in the second half. “[Adlesh] is a captain for a reason,” Enfield said. “He’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever coached.” Martin, a contender for Pac-12 Player of the Year award and who also came off a 30-point game in a loss at UCLA, led ASU in scoring with 22 points. “It takes a team to guard [Martin],” Enfield said. However, ASU couldn’t keep up with USC the remainder of the game. The Trojans shot 45% from three and 50% from the field, not to mention the 11-rebound advantage they claimed. Senior forward Nick Rakocevic posted a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds, and graduate transfer guard Quinton Adlesh made two big threes down the stretch while playing fantastic defense on the other end of the floor. “Just break the press and run our plays,” Adlesh said of the adjustments at halftime. “Just relax and settle in to our offense.” ASU went on an 11-0 scoring run midway through the second half to cut the lead to 54-53 after the Trojans had been in control up 12. Mathews was finally able to break the nearly five-minute scoring drought with a strong finish and a foul that was followed by a 3-pointer on the next possession with 6:53 to go. Head coach Andy Enfield said Utomi and the veterans’ leadership was key to USC’s winning effort. The win could prove to be huge for a USC team on the bubble for the NCAA Tournament and is looking to improve its seeding in Las Vegas. USC can help out both of those causes when it hosts crosstown rival UCLA at Galen Center Saturday at 12:15 p.m. read more